The Extend mOOC community strives to be:
- friendly and encouraging. We'd like to think this is self explanatory!
- welcoming. We want to be a community that welcomes and supports people of all backgrounds and identities. This includes, but is not limited to, members of any race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, immigration status, social and economic class, educational level, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, size, family status, political belief, religion, and mental and physical ability.
- respectful. Not all of us will agree all the time, but disagreement is no excuse for poor behavior and poor manners. We might all experience some frustration now and then, but we cannot allow that frustration to turn into a personal attack. A community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one.
- careful in the words that we choose. We are a community of professionals, and we conduct ourselves professionally. Be kind to others. Do not insult or put down other participants. Harassment and other exclusionary behavior aren’t acceptable.
- understanding why we disagree. Disagreements, both social and technical, happen all the time. It is important that we resolve disagreements and differing views constructively. Remember that we’re different. The strength of our community comes from its diversity. Different people have different perspectives on issues. Being unable to understand why someone holds a viewpoint doesn’t mean that they’re wrong. Don’t forget that it is human to err and blaming each other doesn’t get us anywhere. Instead, focus on helping to resolve issues and learning from mistakes.
Our mOOC is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion (or lack thereof), or technology choices. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form from anyone.
Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion, technology choices, sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the organisers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expulsion from the mOOC.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of mOOC staff immediately.
Participants have the right to express themselves and participate freely in this mOOC. However, they are expected to treat each other and the instructor with courtesy and respect. Offensive or inappropriate language is not to be used in any form of communication e.g., emails, discussion postings, group projects, submitted assignments. Participants are allowed to disagree with each other or the instructor but must do so in a civil manner.
The discussion area of the mOOC are meant for postings related to course work only. Postings of a personal or non academic nature are not permitted and may be removed by the organisers should they appear.
Our code of conduct was modeled after the one from the OpenCon Cascadia conference.